Acrylic, mixed media and ink on birch cradleboard
24″ x 18″
Merchants Bank & Hargrave & Sissons Block is located on the corner of South Railway Street. Built in 1901, it is one of Medicine Hat’s earliest buildings in the downtown area.
Mr. Kerr drew up the plans and the contract for the stone & brickwork were given to a Mr. Purmal. Tom Hargrave and Dan Sissons opened a general store and were the first of a long series of merchants who opened and ran businesses out of the premises.
Dr. Holt, a dentist and Mrs. Campbell, an artist were some of the first to lease in the second story of the building.
Historical Information courtesy of the Esplanade Archives